Sustainability certifications at Castellum
For Castellum, offering customers and employees healthy and safe work environments is important. To achieve this, Castellum works with such processes as environmental inventories and accepted property environmental certification systems.
The objective is for all properties to be environmentally inventoried. Castellum environmentally certifies all new constructions and larger reconstructions. If these are office projects, they must be certified under Miljöbyggnad, level Gold. A lower certification level may only be used if there are particular reasons why Gold cannot be achieved. New offices in Denmark and Finland are to be certified according to BREEAM, level Excellent. Miljöbyggnad, level Silver applies to new production of logistics buildings. Castellum also has its own sustainability program that applies to all investments; read more in Castellum’s development portfolio.
Castellum’s supply chain
Castellum works to achieve the smartest and most efficient use of resources possible. Castellum has a Code of Conduct for Suppliers that applies to all procurements, which means that projects are carried out with strict sustainability requirements. We impose requirements on our suppliers as regards the environment, work environments and safety, working conditions and human rights as well as business ethics and anti-corruption.
Castellum imposes clear sustainability requirements in new construction and reconstruction by applying Group-wide sustainability programs for procurements. Read more about Castellum’s ideas concerning sustainable investments in connection with new constructions and reconstruction in Castellum’s development portfolio.
For major purchases and procurements, Castellum’s ambition is to monitor suppliers and contractors in accordance with Group-wide requirements. Monitoring takes place in various ways, for example through auditing Castellum’s environmental management system, inspections, questionnaires and site visits. In 2019, Castellum purchased services or products totaling SEK 4,126 million from a total of 4,701 suppliers, of which the 62 largest suppliers with a purchase volume over MSEK 10 accounted for 62% of the purchase volume. Furthermore, no significant changes occurred in Castellum’s work with its chain of suppliers during the year.
As a part of enhancing efficiency and imposing clear requirements in the supplier chain, Castellum systematically signs framework agreements with suppliers. In every procurement, the supplier must also affirm that they work systematically on sustainability and work environment management. If a supplier violates the Code of Conduct or sustainability and work environment requirements, the agreement can be canceled. During the year, Castellum signed 14 new framework agreements; in total, there are 27 framework agreements in the Group for goods and services in property management.
Direction of the focus area
We will create a sustainable property portfolio in a changing world.
- 50% of the property portfolio in square meters will be environmentally certified in 2025.
- All new constructions and larger reconstructions will be environmentally certified. Miljöbyggnad level Gold applies to new construction or reconstruction of office and retail premises. A lower certification level may only be used if there are particular reasons why Gold cannot be achieved.
- Eco-system services will be evaluated for new construction and major projects, and at least as many eco-system services – or more – will be recreated on site.
- 36% of the property portfolio in square meters is environmentally certified, and certification of a further 2% is in progress. Castellum owns the greatest number of environmentally certified buildings out of all the Swedish listed property companies.
- All of Castellum’s major new constructions or reconstructions for office and retail met this goal in 2019.
- Ecosystem services are evaluated and implemented in all new major projects.